programmer or serial killer?

Richard A. Franklin raldenfranklin at everestkc.net
Sat Jan 8 14:41:37 CST 2005

Brian Kelsay wrote:

> Richard A. Franklin wrote:
>
>> This quiz is actually a better use of your time than trying to make
>> Jim feel like a dumb adolescent for leaving his laptops in a car (I
>> am sure he already feels like $&%@, knows "what went wrong", or is
>> completely over it ... so go beat up on yourself if you have nothing
>> better to do). BTW, I am surprised that Google only revealed 417
>> results for "pedantic nitpicking". After all, pedantic nitpicking is
>> what people do, and they either get over it or they don't.
>

> Sorry, not trying to make Jim feel bad, it just sounded that way.  It
> was merely an environmental unfriendliness warning for other laptop
> users and Jim if he gets his replacement.  One place I worked lost 8
> laptops in the same pre-Christmas week.  6 from cars parked in front
> of the bosses house while at his Christmas party.  Jim's a big boy and
> I'm sure he'll deal with it okay.  It's the data loss that can really
> hurt.
> And Richard, pedantic nitpicking is a sport we geeks form teams for.
> I've heard that it is a long ways down the list of future sports to be
> voted on by the IOC for Olympic status.  I can wait.

Yep, I did not begin to think you were trying to make Jim feel bad. And
pedantic nitpicking can be fun among friends. I was just a bit surprised
by the silly tonality of a previous post in response to Jim's
misfortune, which most of us had the good taste and common sense to
simply ignore ... but it was just such a tempting lead-in to the serial
killer / programmer link

Too many grey days in a row bring out my shadow humor (if that is not
too redundant).

And BTW, as a pilot of 18 wheels, I have to remember to not let my
laptop sit for 48 hours in Minot, ND during the months of January and
February ... and I don't, but it is a good reminder.

More to the point, how well did you score on the quiz?