OT: generator for ice storm

Brad brad at bradandkim.net
Tue Jan 4 14:35:19 CST 2005

This is way off topic, but related to a recent thread.  I have a 5500
watt generator that might see some usage tonight or tomorrow.  In the
2002 ice storm I fed the 240 out of the generator and into my ac 2 pole
breaker to feed the electrical panel in the house.  I threw the main
while doing this and had no problems.  Now, thinking about the coming
storm I was looking at the possibility of doing this again.  Everything
you read on the the Internet says you are crazy for doing this and risk
frying your generator, killing a linesman, or burning down your house.
My question for you electrical whizzes is if I absolutely, positively
remember to throw the main when doing this, what are the real dangers
then.  Is it just warned against because someone _might_ forget to throw
the main or are there dangers even if the main is thrown.

TIA,

Brad