SBC Internet and ISDN for big business

Don Erickson derick at zeni.net
Tue Aug 23 21:12:34 CDT 2005

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005, Patrick M wrote:

> Hey, we have SBC calling us they are offering a compeditive bid to beat our
> other lowest bid.
>
> They are including Internet 512 or Full T-1. What do you think of their
> internet. I know there DSL is not the best esp when it comes to email.

SBC is pretty good, in my experience.  I've heard some horror stories as
to their services (which I don't use), but the basic internet connection
has nearly always been there.  As to email, just have them delegate (or
host) your Reverse DNS and send it all yourself rather than relaying.
Unless your IP is in SORBS or somethign, what is the point of relaying?

> I keep
> my own email server, but have my systems relay out through the ISP's.
> Currently we have SBC dsl & UUNET sDSL. SBC does not work for us for email.
> UUNET sDSL does. I guess we could just keep our server running and fully use
> it. or given the price, keep a second ISP as a backup in general.

I live about a quarter mile from a switching station and really have to
say the SBC static IP DSL has been amazingly stable since 1999.

Regards,

-Don