Howto install kernel or using *.patch?

Jack quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 20 13:56:57 CDT 2005

Can you be more specific?
Which kernel do you have on the old distro? If your
kernel is old enough it's probably easier to download
a new kernel, rather than all the patches.

To install a new kernel:
1) download the kernel you want and save it in
/usr/src
2) extract the kernel there
3) go into the newly created kernel directory
4) follow the instruction in the README file to
compile and install the new kernel.
  a)These steps are roughly:
      i) make xconfig,
     ii) make
    iii) make modules
     iv) make modules_install
      v) make install
     vi) copy new kernel to /boot directory
    vii) add line in your bootloader to load the new
         kernel

I recommend doing the makes up to and including make
modules as a regular user. The installs need to be
done as root.

Let me know if you need me to be more detailed.
;')

Brian JD