WAS: Open Source 3D Games

Jon Pruente jdpruente at gmail.com
Sat Aug 13 19:50:48 CDT 2005

On 8/10/05, Leo Mauler <webgiant at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I play crack-attack on a dual PII-450Mhz with a RADEON
> 7500 with 32MB RAM.  The GPU is just fine but the CPU
> prevents the game from being played in its primary
> format.  So here's another reason why crack-attack is
> good: crack-attack downgrades gracefully with the
> "--low" option.  This makes the blocks a little less
> 3D but improves game performance on lower-end
> machines.

On that note, I have a question.  I'm not a gamer, and I haven't
played any FPS except Wolf3D and Quake and Halo one time, so I have
next-to-no experience in configuring newer games.  Have the developers
ever thought of putting a Frame rate throttle on the engines?  Really,
if you are cranking out FPS faster than you can see them, why not
throttle the system back and use the CPU power to handle the better
effects?  Setting a system max FPS of 30-60 FPS on a system capable of
120+ would give alot of extra horsepower back to the system to mkae
all the goodies that much better.