Cygwin Pronunciation

Gerald Combs gerald at ethereal.com
Wed Aug 10 15:50:40 CDT 2005

Gerald Combs wrote:
> Philip Leonard wrote:
>
>>Gerald Combs wrote:
>>

>>>Gyro and Cygnus are both in the Merriam-Webster, Dictionary.com, and
>>>Wiktionary dictionaries of the English language (I don't have access to
>>>the OED).  Does that not, by definition, make them English?
>>

>>Actually I think the Oxford English Dictionary is the definitive work
>>for the English language.
>

> Is this by consensus, or is there some sort of governing body for the
> English language, similar to the Académie française?

I should've Googled harder first.  According to
http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutdictionaries/officialcommittee
there is no equivalent to the Académie française for English.
Furthermore, the OED isn't to be treated as a definitive authority on
English as far as the folks at Oxford are concerned.