Sending mail using smtp commands via telnet

Rob Becker rbecker at kcai.edu
Mon Aug 1 11:59:45 CDT 2005

I'm working on testing that mail is delivered properly from outside our
network, through our various virus and spam filters and to the
appropriate email server.  I would like to telnet into one of our mail
gateways and send a message from there destined to a new internal
server.  I know how to telnet into the mail server, but I'm not finding
the appropriate commands to actually send a message once I'm connected.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.  My googling skills have
failed me on this one since I can't seem to hit the magic phrase
necessary to find a resource on this topic.  Any help, pointers,
references greatly appreciate.
Thanks.
Rob