streaming media question

Brian Kelsay Brian.Kelsay at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Sep 23 15:49:41 CDT 2004

>From what I've read of Icecast, you can set the number of allowed connections.   You can also set the bitrate of the file to lower the cost in bandwidth.  If you wanted to keep someone from listening to it again, then you might do some things w/ a cookie.  Better idea is to just let them download the file and listen multiple times if that is legal with the file you post.  You don't really need a T-1 to serve it up unless you want 20-30+ users simultaneously.  But I could be wrong.
www.icecast.org
http://www.icecast.org/docs.php

Shoutcast also runs on Linux and can be similarly configured.
www.shoutcast.com
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/serve.phtml
http://www.shoutcast.com/download/broadcast.phtml

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Brian Densmore" <DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com> 09/23/04 02:06PM >>>
Got a question. I want to implement a media
player on my website. A 30 second audio.
I have access to a T1 to serve it up, but
I of course have bandwidth limitations for
my box and need to be able to throttle the
bandwidth used by the media link and also
I want to track concurrent users and be able
to throttle accordingly per user, or to reject
users because throttling X number of users
would make it useless. So any one know ways
of doing this?