New USB standard threatens Linux

Oren Beck oren_beck at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 19 14:59:04 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> Cringeley says that the new Windows standard for USB devices specificly
> excludes Linux:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040916.html

To my reading this is not merely a "security " issue . And Linux alone
is not the endgame for the concept .
Nor is it a response to competing OS pressures . Though it serves as
such to a degree .
This is primarily an attempt at extortion from media producers and
consumers.
And the other implications ?  Well some of them should frankly scare the
shit out of  you !
0r shall we ignore the political misuses of serialized Globally Unique
Identification Device  mechanisms .
After all - our government _never_ would use such things for repression ?

What sparks my personal concern is a move to Orwellian concepts such as
each piece of "paper"
having a GUID !

Said GUID being irrevocably linked to the author of each electronic
expression .
While in certain circumstances an absolute authentication with the
converse non-repudiation
is a very GOOD thing it is not so good in others . Thus dies free and
anonymous discourse  .
Dissent becoming literally self incriminatory is a fantasy beyond
compare to a repressive regime .
This trend to lock down media based on potential for use soon will reach
a logical end .
  A  Quasi Soviet mentality of  ALL writable media being locked down or
shackled by a GUID!
I was recently told that Soviet era copiers had their platen glass
serial # etched so each copy was traceable .
Other than of course those possessed by the Oligarchy or equipotential
forces and used for Agitprop and Disinformation

  A Copyleft universe has ZERO need for such at the hardware level -
Police states on the other hand ?

The whole so-called "trusted" platform  oxymoronic brain fart sadly is
being taken seriously by folks who should  be loudly describing how
execrable such a scheme will be to live with . Now does failure to act
earn the result ?
Where Linux and Open Source consider security as preventing exploits MS
views the security issue as digital rights mangling merged with
literally holding your data conditionally hostage in obfscutated formats
 An Operating System that makes multiple copies of files and goes to
inordinate lengths in concealing them -let alone the fact it does so at
all hardly can be considered a paragon of virtue . Any  experts here
know of GUID or similar in  any Open Sopurce software that are *NOT*
explicitly declared and controllable easily !

But for the efforts of some who may scream loudly enough THX 1138 may be
more our future than 1984 .

Oren Beck

www.campdownunder.com

" Just because one CAN does NOT mean one always SHOULD "