RAID array troubles... suggestions?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Sep 14 10:53:38 CDT 2004

On Tue, September 14, 2004 10:32 am, Rich Edelman said:

> I'm trying to get a new fileserver at work up and running, we're using
> SuSE 9.1 with a 3ware 9500S-12 RAID card (uses the 3w-9xxx module), and
> 12 250GB SATA drives.

> Problem is, I can't create a partition on this thing of over 300G.

Maybe you need to google around for patched disk utilities?

> I suppose I COULD forego the partition and create the array right on
> /dev/sdb (instead of /dev/sdb1)...

Um, why not?  Isn't that where you're supposed to put it?  Unless
/dev/sdb1 is a logical partition (more usually partition 3 or 4 is), you
would put the partition on the root device, not under another partition.
(I'm not familiar with Linux RAID, this may be normal.)

What about Mfr. supplied utilities?  How do they want to partition?