RAID array troubles... suggestions?

Rich Edelman redelman at speedscript.com
Tue Sep 14 10:32:40 CDT 2004

I'm trying to get a new fileserver at work up and running, we're using SuSE
9.1 with a 3ware 9500S-12 RAID card (uses the 3w-9xxx module), and 12 250GB
SATA drives.

Problem is, I can't create a partition on this thing of over 300G. The default
SuSE kernel does include large block device support (CONFIG_LBD=y). Linux
fdisk has problems with creating a device over 2TB, but even GNU parted can't
create more than a 300G partition on this raid array.

I suppose I COULD forego the partition and create the array right on /dev/sdb
(instead of /dev/sdb1), but I really don't feel comfortable with doing such a
thing.

I have tried the latest kernel and the latest firmware for the RAID card, too.

Anyone have any ideas? The RAID card itself can see and use the entire array
(I hit Alt-3 when booting, and verified the array), so I'm beginning to think
it's got to be a driver issue.

Rich