Help configuring email server...

D. Joe Anderson kclug at etrumeus.com
Tue Oct 5 14:27:34 CDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 05, 2004 at 08:40:01PM +0200, linux at bizniche.com wrote:

> For some reason, understanding how to run a for-fun email server is
> beyond me.  So, I'm trying to get this configured one step at a time.
> I find some tutorials online that say..."Yeah, just setup exim,
> fetchmail, squirrelmail, courier-imap, and spamassassin and you're
> almost there!"  That sounds like a lot to me.  So...I'm starting small.
>  First things first, I want to get exim working with courier-imap.
>
> Here is my setup, then I will show the errors I'm getting:
>
> Debain Testing
> exim
> courier-imap
> Timewarner cable
> mdg.homelinux.org pointing from dyndns.org to my server.

$ host -a homelinux.org
homelinux.org           NS      ns4.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           NS      ns5.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           NS      ns1.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           NS      ns2.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           NS      ns3.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           MX      20 mail.dyndns.org
homelinux.org           MX      50 mail2.dyndns.org

$ host -a mdg.homelinux.org
mdg.homelinux.org       A       65.30.83.161

$ host 65.30.83.161
Name: CPE-65-30-83-161.kc.rr.com
Address: 65.30.83.161

Hmm.

You don't own/control homelinux.org, right?  Just mdg.homelinux.org?

There seems to be an MX record for the former, but not for the
latter.  I wonder if this is part of the problem.  Can you
create an MX record for mdg.homelinux.org, and have dyndns.org
point it to your box?

--
Joe