Somewhat OT: Wireless Router Problem

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Sun May 30 20:43:35 CDT 2004

Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student) wrote:

>As it turns out, it get's a signal when the laptop is within a few inches of the router.  Then, as
I move it farther away, the signal disapears all together after about two feet.  As you can
imagine, I find this unacceptable.

Is it a built-in wireless card?  If so, most likely what happened, was
when the laptop was in for service, the tech who worked on it
disconnected the antenna leads from the mini-PCI card in the laptop.
Flip the laptop over, there should be a few compartments that can be
opened with a screwdriver.

Find the one with the wireless card - you'll probably notice two very
small circular points on it, and a couple of leads that aren't connected
to anything.  Connect the two leads to the mini-PCI card, (both the
leads and the mini-PCI card should be labled which is Primary and which
is Secondary).

Needless to say, those mini-PCI cards, when not connected to antennas,
have very very little range.

-Lucas