Somewhat OT: Wireless Router Problem

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Sun May 30 02:09:48 CDT 2004

Charles, Joshua Micah (UMKC-Student) wrote:

>Hello all,
>
>I apologize for the off topic posting, but I've been working on this problem for a while now, and
I can't come up with any solutions.  Perhaps one of you all have an idea what's happening, or at
least has ran into it before.

>I have a Belkin Wireless router (from the Comp USA sale advertised a couple months ago - thanks
for the tip, whoever posted that ), and up until last week it was working perfectly.  Then I had
some problems with the battery on my notebook, and I had to send the notebook in to get it fixed.
When I got it back yesterday, the first thing I noticed was "Hey, no wireless network available?
wtf?"

>As it turns out, it get's a signal when the laptop is within a few inches of the router.  Then, as
I move it farther away, the signal disapears all together after about two feet.  As you can
imagine, I find this unacceptable.

>So I've experimented, searched google, and hey even RTFM, and still, I can't figure out anything.
>
>Here is a somewhat shortened list of what I've tried:
>
>Changed the signal for the router for each one 1 - 11
>Reinstalled the drivers and software on the laptop (several times now)
>reinstalled the entire OS
>

>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks,
>Josh

3 thoughts

invite a friend over who has a wireless card win or nix...   has to be
able to sense what version you have ie  a/g/b card would be great..  see
if 1 they can see you router 2 see your laptop 3 which ever they dont
see, have them move real close to it and see if it starts to get
reception.   that requires your laptop and the ap to be  far apart and
them in the middle.