DamnSmall Linux booting from USB

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri May 28 16:11:06 CDT 2004

Just got this working this morning.  Thought I would share.  I have a boot floppy that uses
syslinux and activates the USB port on older motherboards, then DSL boots from the USB memstick.
Some of you know I was messing with this around the start of the year.  Before I was using the RUNT
v3.0 floppy image, but it wasn't getting booted all the way.  It depended on more files being on
the memstick, like a miniroot.gz.  Now that is all fixed on the DamnSmall USB boot.img.

Now that it is working, pretty much any Knoppix derivative that will fit on a USB memstick will
work (puppy, flonix, feather, bonzai, kurumin).  The key is, the directory "Knoppix" containing the
compressed filesystem "Knoppix" must be moved to the memstick and in the directory you must also
have the boot.cat and boot.img files from the original disk or ISO image.

If anybody tries this, you may not be able to use the "toram" option at the boot prompt.  This is
just a warning because the first time I tried to boot it I use the "dma" and "toram" options.  Good
Luck.

You may now return to your original programming.

Brian Kelsay