ISP recommendations

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri May 28 09:55:08 CDT 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004 19:48:11 -0500 Jonathan Hutchins
<hutchins at tarcanfel.org> writes:
> On Monday May 24 2004 01:35 pm, Garrett Goebel wrote:
>
> > Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > > What kind of bandwidth are you looking for?  Cable
> > > modem is the best for the buck, a commercial account
> > > should give you what you need.
>
> > YMMV: DSL usually has lower latencies...
>
> The truth is that it's the local implementation that matters.
> In the Kansas City area, Retail Domestic DSL from SBC
> is PPPoE, and at the same montly price as Time Warner's
> RoadRunner Cable Modem service only about 1/4 the
> speed - IF you're close enough to the local demark.
>
> I saw an early SBC DSL set up that was very much on par with
> RoadRunner, same speed, same price, the only disadvantage was
> a two year mandatory contract (vs. month-to-month for RR).

This was a big factor in my decision to choose cable over DSL.  Another
problem with DSL is that it is rather difficult to share it over a
router.  YMMV, but a friend of mine chose to break his contract with SBC
DSL rather than put up with only one computer at a time connected to
broadband Internet.  I've never had problems sharing my cable modem
connection over my home network.

> Some guys on the list have had problems with RR service, mostly
> frequent (but brief) outages.  This may be in areas where they're
> doing a lot of build-out, or may be something else.  Mine's been
> solid for years, the only significant outage was the big ice storm.

I had a brief outage of two hours yesterday, but it worked fine for
months before that.  Reconnection of Internet service is very fast, and
my BitTorrent connections resumed automagically.