MS heads for HPC

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Wed May 26 01:11:19 CDT 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

>Remember the MS Exchange Cluster that RoadRunner KC tried to upgrade without a
>rollback image?  They were down for WEEKS!
>
>You know you'd have job security doing Windows clustering, but being between
>an irate CEO and MS Tech Support's Hold Queue is not fun.

<soapbox>  i still refuse to trust rr.com's email servers for THAT
specific reason i lost 2 jobs due to that.   he has a extremely good
answer.  1) xp gives home users info to Microsoft  how is that better
for the user.  2 stability is better but is far from rock solid.  3 how
many blaster's netskeys and who knows what else will it take to bogg
down your email till its hard to be productive.  4) how many browser
hacks are there for viruses/parasites for linux?  coolwebsearch and the
like.   there are many others i could go down the list with.   how about
the amd thing?   when the 350+ processors came out.   who here wanted to
wiat 2 weeks for Microsoft to get around to getting you the patch
because they screwed up.   yes that was the official turnaround for that
patch till people illeagly released it after getting it.   you had the 2
to 3 days for inital turnaround then another 3 to 4 for them to decide
you actually need a patch then they MIGHT make it available to you.  how
is that for customer service?  it is ther policy to worry about getting
you to the next version and out of that now 250? $ for the latest full
product they can.  not to mention the grands that it costs for the
latest office pack.   I understand its a businesses business to keep the
cash flow but at the cost of  its customers life blood.  letting them
rott as somthing breaks so we can force them to a new version?  come on
highway robery laws were built for things like this.  they keep just a
toenail inside the line of the law usually.   business is business
crooks are crooks it seems most of america has forgotten the difference
between the two.  go stomp on your neighbors face so you can get that
one rung higher.  its sad to see a nation fall like this.   there is so
little done on principle in this nation its sad.

I addmit that 1 Microsoft did make huge inroads for the consumer to get
personal computers where they are.  2 they have an impressive empire of
software that has made allot of business possible by being available in
such quantity that no other could match.

dont fall for the wally world  special  though it is still built only to
lats a little bit and to be discarded when next years new module comes
in.  give me a lawn boy over a wall mart special any day.  a studibaker
over a ford.   a source over a answer.  </soapbox>