pppd routing problem

Uncle Jim jim at jimani.com
Fri May 21 06:17:06 CDT 2004

Hi,

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 10:30:24PM -0500, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
> My problem is that the default gateway stays static as eth0 and not ppp0.
>
> Here are my options to the ppp daemon:
>
> [start]
> # General configuration options for PPPD:
> lock
> defaultroute
> noipdefault
> modem
> /dev/modem
> 57600
> crtscts
> # Uncomment the line below for more verbose error reporting:
> #debug
> # If you have a default route already, pppd may require the other side
> # to authenticate itself, which most ISPs will not do.  To work around this,
> # uncomment the line below.  Note that this may have negative side effects
> # on system security if you allow PPP dialins.  See the docs in
> /usr/doc/ppp*
> # for more information.
> noauth
> passive
> asyncmap 0
> [end]
>
> >From my understanding of pppd, "defaultroute" should make my ppp connections
> the default gateway to send packets to. But, it doesn't. When I do a
> route -n to see the table, ppp0 only appears once (my assigned IP address).

I am on dialup and my call to pppd is very similar.  I have the "defaultroute"
but don't have "noauth", "passive", or "asyncmap 0".  I'm not sure why you
have the "passive" but it shouldn't affect your routing.

What distribution are you using?  If it is RedHat, make sure that you don't
have a "GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" line in your
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file.  I think you are setting a
default route before you dial the phone and I don't think pppd likes to
change that.  What does route -n look like before you dial?
--
Jim