"Ghost" IBM Thinkpad drive

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue May 18 01:32:27 CDT 2004

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> I'm trying to make a backup of an IBM Thinkpad 600E Hard-drive before
> playing with installing linux, and I can't get the BSD-based Ghost4Linux
> to boot off the G4U CD (it comes up with what looks like the bsd
> boot-loader, then can't seem to find any files on "hd11a"), and I don't
> have a standard floppy (I don't deal much with laptops).
>
> So...anyone know how to get G4U booting, or even better, if there's a
> "ghost" like utility in knoppix (which boots fine!).

A couple of points: Knoppix comes with partimage and it copies NTFS
partitions.  http://www.ashleyit.com/blogs/brentashley/archives/000517.html
That link declares success with a similar situation to yours.
Another way you could go is to put the drive in another PC with an
adapter which lets you put a 44-pin laptop drive on a 40-pin standard
desktop IDE chain.  I have a couple of the adapters and could help you
with this at a meeting, but I think you live in Topeka.  I bought one at
  www.cablesonline.com , but there are other online stores you could buy
them at.  They are cheaper via ebay or online store than locally even
when you pay shipping.  The extra pins on the laptop drive carry power,
but you probably knew that.  I have followed this procedure many times
and used a Ghost boot disk to do the copying.  I also have a Bart's PE
disk that I have loaded Ghost 8.0 on.  You can copy over the network or
to a local partition.