Using a router server to filter the Internet?

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Tue May 4 14:36:33 CDT 2004

>Ya know, I was just thinking about being 16. If my parents had tried
>something like this, I probably would have cracked it in a matter of
>days. I would convince my father than I needed SSH (22) out of the
>firewall for 'programming with my friends on the internet' and then I'd
>VPN tunnel over SSH to one of my many buddies in the Netherland or
>Russia. I'd generate sufficient local web traffic to make it appear that
>nothing had changed and do all my questionable surfing via international
>proxy.
>
>Just some thoughts. Granted, most kids wouldn't be able to accomplish
>something like this but I think the point is that kids will find it
>/somehow/ no matter what you do.

I agree that kids will find ways to get around rules. But...I think the
point is that they know the rules, and know that you're serious.  Or
maybe more importantly, they know the consequences of breaking the rules
(or tunneling porn over port 22).  If you have the blocking stuff in
place, he'll know he's wrong to go around it...even if he does.

Matt