ATA100 80 wire/40 pin (was RE: kernel init error)

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Mar 30 19:55:29 CST 2004

Speaking of the devil! I have one of those cables and
a drive that is suppoesed to support it. I have been
unable to get Linux to recognize the ribbon/disk and
it always falls back to the lower standard. I know
the MB supports it. What can I check to diagnose this?
I put the drive on it's own controller. I do have a DVD
and CDRW on another cable. Do I have to set someting on
a jumper on the HD? The MB is all configured in the BIOS.
The MB is an "older" ABit, but it has ata133 support and the
HD is a 20GB Maxtor 7200 ATA100 or ATA133. I haven't checked
the ribbon closely for cuts, but the drive works. I have another
80 ribbon I could try. Maybe there is some kernel parameter or
cheatcode I need to use?