Third Choice of Linux Distro?

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Tue Mar 30 05:49:54 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> For you, Leo, my recommendation would be to build a Linux From Scratch
> installation.  That way there are no conspiracies, there is no-one to blame
> but yourself for anything that's not the way you want it to be.  You get
> exactly what you decide to get.

And when he asks what car he should buy, you reply, why not build your
own?  It'll only take you 3 weeks longer.  I'd only do it on a dare,
when I had no pressing engagements.  I wouldn't wish a full Gentoo build
on someone unless they actively sought it out on their own like I did.
Reserve a week of evenings and it's doable.  Oh, yeah.  Don't emerge
world too soon, some minor update to X will throw you into a multi hour
or multi day upgrade.  I grant you that there is a lot to be learned
from a LFS or Gentoo build, but I won't do it again soon.  I'll save my
energy for a Knoppix remaster.

It's Debian in some form for me.  Knoppix, Morphix, Mepis, DamnSmall,
Flonix.  SystemRescueCD is good too, based on Gentoo. And I like IPCop
on the firewall, based on RedHat 7.3.