BIOS

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Thu Mar 25 15:40:44 CST 2004

Rusty wrote:
> A couple of weeks ago I posted about a failed BIOS update on a MB that
> left the system DOA. I replaced the MB (and processor), hoping to get a
> replacement from the manufacturer for the dead one. Unfortunately they
> left me hanging. There were a couple of folks on the list who had
> mentioned reprogramming the chip. I'd be interested in talking to
> whomever is able to assist in resurrecting this board. Or, if someone
> is interested in buying the set, I'd listen to that too. Its an iWill
> XP-333R board, built in RAID etc. etc. and an AMD XP-1900 CPU (1.6
> GHz).

Judging from the smallish picture of this board on the IWill site, it
looks like not only is the BIOS ROM socketed, but it's in a DIP package.
  This is the ideal scenerio, but may not be how your board is actually
setup (frequently marketing photos of hardware are taken of early
engineering prototypes, which are often fabricated with different
options than production boards).

You should be able to pop the ROM out and take it anywhere you can get
access to a programmer and burn a new image.  To be sure, it would be
helpful if you could:

- Verify the part on your is socketed
- Verify the package used:
   DIP - Large package with pins sticking out on two sides that
     make a right-angle bend and go through the PCB (or straight
     into the socket)
   PLCC - Smaller rectangle with pins on all 4 sides that curve
     under the part
   Other SMT - It could also be anything from a TSOP to a BGA, in which
     case it's likely soldered directly to the board :<
- If possible, try to get a partnumber off of the BIOS chip

I'm willing to help, but I'm in Topeka.  If you ever want to swing by
this way (or mail the part), let me know, but there's probably someone
else on-list with a programmer who's already in KC.

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net