Advice: Virus on Win2k

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Wed Mar 10 12:41:58 CST 2004

I have a machine on my LAN that must have gotten infected by a virus. My
wife opened an e-mail yesterday that looked like it was addressed from
me. As soon as she did, the machine locked up. She pulled the plug and
cut the power to shut it down, then booted again. It boots into the pale
blue Win2k screen and stops. The hdd light flickers. I'm thinkin the
thing is hosed nicely.

It's Win2k Pro on a Dell Latitude CPx notebook.

I would like to get as much stuff off the hdd as possible, or even clean
it up, rather than reformatting. There are documents, address book, etc.
on there that I'd like to save. No, no current back up exists.

I've tried booting from my install disk and doing repairs. Nothing
works. I slept on it last night, and this morning I had a thought:
Knoppix. I have never used Knoppix before, so I would a bit of a
learning curve to climb. But, would I be able to boot Knoppix (BIOS
allows CDROM booting), mount the hdd and transfer any and all info I
want to my server via a pcmcia lan card?

Or, if that's not the solution, does anyone have any ideas.

If I don't get back to you soon, it's because I'm not in the office
today. I'm buggin outta here early to get to the other side of town for
some charity work we're doing this week.

Thanks, guys, for the help.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux