Anti-spam SMTP mods

Lucas Peet sirsky at lucastek.com
Tue Mar 9 23:53:49 CST 2004

David Nicol wrote:

>> Because there is no authentication.
> In the scenario under discussion, we have authentication.

I think that if you re-read the thread, you'll find that in this
scenario, there is no authentication (aside from what is already
standard today - no new authentication methods were introduced).  There
is only checking a digitaly signed header against a public key to verify
that all the header information is intact, and unmodified as created and
sent by the mail server itself.  If it's intact, the message gets
delievered.  If it's not, the message gets dropped.

> etc etc etc you can waste all day
> discussing this stuff.

Nothing ever gets done without discussion first, and through discussion,
new and better ideas tend to arise.  Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't
really call that a 'waste'.

-Lucas