Anti-spam SMTP mods

Kendrick-LUG kulua at linux2themax.com
Wed Mar 10 00:10:43 CST 2004

Daniel Siemens wrote:

>  SBC Yahoo DSL will set up reverse DNS for you if you ask them to do
> it.   The first 3 levels of tech support have no idea what you are
> talking about it, but if you are persistent you will get it.   I have
> static IP, not dynamic ip though.
>
> You are running servers on dynamic connections?   Do you have any
> delays when you IP updates for DNS to correctly adjust?   Which
> Dynamic DNS provider are you using?   Are they any good?

i have whyi.org and they are realy good.   he has his servers update
information every 15 minuets if you change ip it only takes 15min max
before every one can find you again unless you are going through a
chache dns server.  the banning of dynamic pools is ludicris how ever
doing a dns lookup of the sending system would solve alot of problims
90% of the senders use fake addresses  or spoof  the sending from part
either way checking to see if the from address works would fix alot  how
ever i still say any business related email should come from a server/
personaly digital sighned message.  ex  rr.com should have a digital
certificate for all mail proceesed through thier servers so if some one
is spaming through rr.com's mail server they just look up the
certificate attached see it is rr.com's and start tracing from there.
if its a real business they culd either get a certificate for the mail
server  and/or  each person  depending on need and it would be easily
tracked that way.  no intentonal spam from them.   any who dont follow
this could have thier bank account confiscated etc  that would cut down
alot on spam problims.  it wouldent be to hard from there to track down
where the non signed mail is coming from make it punishable per messag
offence.

there is a place that now does free digital certs for non ecommerce
applications i hope to set it up so that my systems work off of a
digital cert shortly