Old AT&T UNIX computer

Brig C. McCoy mccoyb at lindahall.org
Tue Mar 9 15:37:33 CST 2004

At 03:17 AM 3/9/2004, webgiant at juno.com wrote:
 >I've been offered an original AT&T UNIX computer (about ten years old) along
 >with the original UNIX OS installation floppies (about 100 5-1/4" floppies).
 > 32MB RAM, 300MB SCSI hard drive, and a backplane that goes on forever.
 >
 >Has anyone worked with a machine like this one?  Can it accept operating
 >systems other than System V UNIX (such as Linux)?
The software company where I used to work did a lot of business with AT&T
customers, so we ported our spreadsheet and graphics programs to 3b1 and
3b2 whenever we did an update.

If you're referring to the 3b1, you can get quite a bit of information from
here: <http://unixpc.taronga.com/>.

If, as I suspect, you're referring to the 3b2, there's some information
here: <http://www.unixwiz.net/3b2/3b2faq.html>.

As to other operating systems, because they frequently used AT&T's own
cpus, porting an OS would be a major pain... although this
<http://mail-index.netbsd.org/current-users/1994/09/01/0004.html> implies
there's an exception which might make it possible, but still not an easy
thing. :)

...brig

--
Brig C. McCoy                   5109 Cherry St
Head, Systems Office            Kansas City, MO  64110  USA

PGP Public Key: <http://www.theworld.com/~brigc/pgp/>