small Linuxes [was Palm Router}

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Mar 5 13:44:16 CST 2004

On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 15:24:30 +1100 (EST) <gbjorksten at h-r-s.com> writes:

> >> It might be an interesting thing to do to see how
> >> many uses we could come up with one of these
> >> old PCs.

[snip!]

> * Retro arcade games

You won't be running Linux then.  Those old 386s and 486s didn't have
enough speed to allow you to play a DOS game written for them in DOSEMU.

MAME is an emulator, which means its speed is a lot slower than the
processor it is running on.  A 386 or even a 486 runs too slowly for most
MAME ROMS.

You're only going to be using it as a Game machine if you are running
some form of DOS to run the games.