Democrats Tap Open Source

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Jun 30 17:29:05 CDT 2004

0‚	*†H†÷
 ‚0‚10	+ 0‚5	*†H†÷
 ‚&‚"From: Brian Kelsay<BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
Subject: Re: Democrats Tap Open Source
To: kclug at kclug.org

--____HUITXSFYISOGBDTBEZJL____

Let's not forget a couple of things.  If a piece of software comes out as =
a result of research at a university, then it's already been paid for, by =
you and me and possibly an interested party or parties that funded the =
research.   This is how we get nice open standards that become the =
backbone of things like the internet,  FTP, email, and TCP/IP.  Linux =
exists because of the need for Open and documented APIs, adherence to =
industry standards that you don't necessarily have to pay a fee to use.   =
If it was up to companies like AOL and Microsoft alone years ago, you =
would only be able to send mail to someone w/ the same email client as =
you.   I almost said Novell there, but they are on the good guys' side =
now.

What we are seeing now that is coming out as OSS software, is abandonware =
(I no longer have the time to mess w/ this, if you want it and want to =
maintain it, good luck), in-house programming that someone else may find =
useful and may add code to since they don't have to write the entire thing =
from scratch, software that is given away because it's the service =
contract and customization contract that really makes the money anyway.  =
There are others, but that's all I could think of right now.  The point =
is, there are many good reasons to use OSS if it is the best or near the =
best in its field.  For me, I get the opportunity to use software that I =
would never be able to afford, to try new things and learn new skills.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Jason Clinton <me at jasonclinton.com> 06/30/04 10:58AM >>>
<snip>
"Let's make the best product possible, using the best technique possible" =
=3D=3D pragmatism
"Let's share everything." =3D=3D pragmatic gift economy

<snip>

OSS, IMHO, is little more than "lets get shit done, together."

[...]
10:58AM &gt;&gt;&gt;
possible" =3D=3D pragmatism

--____ZXGVABPVQMSBHFBTUXFL____--

--____HUITXSFYISOGBDTBEZJL____--
 ‚	O0‚×0‚@ do0
	*†H†÷
 0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing CA0
040527134854Z
050527134854Z0G10UThawte Freemail Member1$0"	*†H†÷
	blkelsay at kcc.usda.gov0‚"0
	*†H†÷
 ‚ 0‚
‚ ¶™\œÓQŠÕ·fÖh^{»GÎR:!P…ôÒ¯:l~i
D%œhFåÄîôjð àúLf
Ҫ%WR¿7Á`Ãât¤–(B;K@úR钏„.[-BL[ŽÉè²ì⧢PtºQN/
™ÅÂð›…j"§ £2000 U0blkelsay at kcc.usda.gov0Uÿ0 0
	*†H†÷
  ’i*F³£­áÍ•õ)íªNi<cMçÑ(”*F84ø"‚™~x?¡Ñ)OYgú!î*ÂDVÃV†GttÖ-¥HôÿùTœYÅNm€yq
ë3ò÷û›7
èógûÕníz¾e %yâÃãA9¶’ßec‘㥛ÄG0æƈ0‚-0‚–  0
	*†H†÷
 0Ñ10	UZA10UWestern Cape10U	Cape Town10U
Thawte Consulting1(0&UCertification Services Division1$0"UThawte Personal Freemail
CA1+0)	*†H†÷
	personal-freemail at thawte.com0
960101000000Z
201231235959Z0Ñ10	UZA10UWestern Cape10U	Cape Town10U
Thawte Consulting1(0&UCertification Services Division1$0"UThawte Personal Freemail
CA1+0)	*†H†÷
	personal-freemail at thawte.com0Ÿ0

*†H†÷
  0‰ Ôi×Ô°”d[qéGØQ¶êr‘°„^}-
{ß…%u(t:B,c'Ÿ•{Kï~‡†ê£Ý¹Î–dÂnD¬|æèMq@8¦ £‡xöù”†^­êÀ^vëÙ£]nz|¥KU)žš&Õj»8$j˜Ç±Ú£˜‘ýyÛåZÄ
¹ £00Uÿ0ÿ0
	*†H†÷
  Çì’~Nøõ–¥gb*¤ðM`Ðo`Xa¬&»R5\Ï0û¨J–ŠbB#Œôºdœ¬G)ߝ˜^Òl`q\¢¬Üyãçn Gµ
(èäšýô¦Ù|±øÜ_#&	‘€sÐÞC©ƒ%òæœ/Êþ¦«Šu‹ÝQ„käøÑÎw¢0‚?0‚¨
0
	*†H†÷
 0Ñ10	UZA10UWestern Cape10U	Cape Town10U
Thawte Consulting1(0&UCertification Services Division1$0"UThawte Personal Freemail
CA1+0)	*†H†÷
	personal-freemail at thawte.com0
030717000000Z
130716235959Z0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing CA0Ÿ0
	*†H†÷
  0‰ Ħ<UsUûN¹Ê™ZhÀupßéÿ£ì½Íõ[òv½:aò¿QÎÔåP
ÿ0ÿ 0CU<0:08 6 4†2http://crl.thawte.com/ThawtePersonalFreemailCA.crl0U0)U
"0 ¤010UPrivateLabel2-1380
	*†H†÷
  HŒÑPƒê.Ì
£f¬g¯¬¾Â¡C–”L!¸ø6ª-Ÿ6/ÀôP “p<ý­áabÃÙ:~„±™ Å‚tž%P”bÇÛ'qW%Ý©œ9ŽŒ
Oe_•Ú÷÷‡ÖÆN®öê4å[5MwãV!x‚Ü!5Þ$±ÓFÿ]_eO1‚h0‚d0i0b10	UZA1%0#U
Thawte Consulting (Pty) Ltd.1,0*U#Thawte Personal Freemail Issuing CAdo0
+  Õ0	*†H†÷
	1	*†H†÷
0	*†H†÷
	1