Anyone suggest any good Linux based filtering software?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Mon Jun 28 12:48:16 CDT 2004

On Sunday 27 June 2004 08:49 pm, Joe Cho wrote:

> I would like to ask someone who has experienced Linux based E-mail
> Filtering software to suggest a couple of them.
> I have a person email server on my Redhat 8.0 using Horde web mail,
> I have spent 99.999% of my....

I use some fairly conservative Relay Blackhole Lists to drop inbound
connections, which helps a lot.  Refusing mail from invalid domains would
drop even more, but because of how my mail is relayed I can't do that.

Once I've dropped those, I use spamassassin to cull the stream even further.
I add the rest of the RBL's as scoring elements; this helps eliminate the
need to bounce mail from servers on "dynamic" connections and other benign
amateurs without letting much spam through.

Finally, about a weeks worth of good and bad mail fed to spamassassin's
beysian filters cuts things down to two or three messages a day out of maybe
a thousand.

Once nice thing about running decent software like spamassassin is that you
can get accurate figures on how much spam you're actually handling; today's
run of 697 messages so far was 72.31% spam.