Anyone suggest any good Linux based filtering software?

dan radom dan at radom.org
Mon Jun 28 04:07:09 CDT 2004

* Jason Crowe (jcrowe at cmuonline.net) wrote:
> Spamassassin
>
> Joe Cho wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >

> >I would like to ask someone who has experienced Linux based E-mail
> >Filtering software to suggest a couple of them.
> >I have a person email server on my Redhat 8.0 using Horde web mail,
> >
> >I have spent 99.999% of my valuable time to delete unnecessary email,
> >90% are Explicit Sex sites or Mortgage site.
> >
> >Someone might need those, but not me at this time.
> >
> >And 9.999% are spam.
> >

> >Could you recommend one of good free email Linux based filtering?
> >and some of configuration help would be grateful.

I use sendmail with several milters that do pre-filtering before
delivery.  The least costly of the milters I use is milter-regex, and
here is an older sample of what it drops...

http://radom.org/lostfound.php?id=161

If the mail makes it through that milter it runs through milter-spamc,
which does nothing more than pass the mail off to spamd / spamassassin.
After that it hits milter-clamav for virus checking.  I try and do as
much dropping of mail using the regular expression milter though, as it's
the least costly in terms of system resources.

Hope this helps,

dan