Messages at login

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Tue Jun 22 19:10:53 CDT 2004

The sayings are from fortune.  Probably called from .bashrc or .profile in your home directory.
These are per user, but I think there is a default one that gets copied to the user's home folder
as the user is created.  You will want to change the default file too.  I don't recall where it is.

Brian Kelsay

>>> Greg Kedrovsky <greg at iglesia-del-este.com> 06/22/04 01:20PM >>>
Where do the goofy messages come from when I login to my Slack 9.1?

I installed Slack several months ago. Whenever I log in as a user or
root, I get a quippy little message. Some are funny. Some are
insightful. Some are dumb. But, none of them can I control (at the
moment). Where are these goofy messages called from? It's gotta be a rc
start-up script file, right? Calls a random text file buried somewhere
in Slack's file structure. ??

I guess I can put up with the messages, even though I don't want to.
But, recently I've been trying to learn a little about my mail system. I
went through a procmail tutorial (good one) and was introduced to
mailstat. Neat little program. I'd like to run mailstat at login. The
tutorial suggested putting the mailstat command in .login or .profile in
my ~/ directory. Neither one worked to get mail stats when I log in.
Just the quippy SlackSaying.

So, I thought (bad idea, I know) that maybe if I found where the quippy
messages were coming from, I could put my mailstat command there.