Suse now providing downloadable iso of 9.1 personal

Richard Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 21 21:41:21 CDT 2004

> Downloaded the 9.1 ISO last night ... the best solution, so far, for
> my laptop, which did not produce sound with SUSE 9.0 (unless static
> counts as sound). Noticeable speed improvement. Just needed to
> download Mozilla (not included in the freebie version), and it was
> ready to travel.
>
> Rick

Well, it appears I spoke too soon ... the system sounds and MP3's are
now somewhere between static and total silence after the third boot.
Plays CDs, of course, but that's a different neurological pathway.

Not really disappointed, as it was just for laptop kicks, without any
expectations that I would have a multimedia experience like I do with
XP. Just like to have tunes while writing, but I suppose that is what
stereos and MP3 players are for

I would be nice if (older) laptop hardware was as well supported as
desktop hardware. Until then, I shall be "migrating" back to Windows on
the laptop. Well aware that the Linux community, in general, has more
compelling issues to address. After all, who is getting "paid" to make
my Yamaha sound card functional? (Yes, it worked with Fedora and
Knoppix, but there were other stability issues there after installation).

Peace,
Rick