OT: First civilian pilot flies into space

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jun 21 18:56:25 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
> From: Garrett Goebel
>
> Brian Densmore wrote:
>>
>> No , this one doesn't count for the XPrize. They now
>> have to send up three people and then turn around and
>> do it again in two weeks.
> It actually just needs to be a manned flight carrying the weight of 3 people.
Right. I was typing too fast and left that off.

> The fact that today witnessed the first private space flight to 62.5 miles
> is pretty neat in and of itself. Now step back and watch as NASA gets the FAA
> and government to tangle everything up with red tape to prevent competition from
> the private sector and protect their financing.
I think they actually support the idea and have helped them along the way in preparing for
this.

> I wonder how long it'll take Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites to provide manned
> fight to 250 miles? Then they could shuttle people back and forth to the
> International Space Station...
They'll need a new design, the composite fuel they are using just doesn't have the
horsepower to get them there, and the vehicle design is not sufficient to withstand
the re-entry heat they'd be subject to at that height.
It's the details that kill ya ... ;')

Brian