First civilian pilot flies into space

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Mon Jun 21 18:24:37 CDT 2004

Yes, it sounds impressive until you take a closer look.
Not to knock the accomplishment. It needed to be done, and
they did get there first and it is rocket science. ;')
Yes, it cost them $20M to design, test and build it.
But, (big but here) this design is only good for very low earth
orbit. This design is not capable of attaining escape velocity.
Still it would be useful for launching small craft into orbit,
small craft capable of escape velocity, and for tourism. Still,
it's probably a good investment. I see limited tourism income,
eventually the novelty effect wears off and all the rich people who
can afford a ticket "have been there, done that". But it will be
an economical solution for small satellites, provided they build the
ship in a way to release the cargo.