Belkin router story

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Jun 5 15:08:10 CDT 2004

Oren Beck wrote:
> At the last meeting I mentioned a story about spam from a new Belkin
> router . Story on The  Register.
>

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2003/11/07/help_my_belkin_router/

They are working fast to remedy the situation before their over-eager
marketing group plummets them to the earth.  I think all this crap
should be Opt-In, not Opt-out.  Put a leaflet in w/ the equipment and
plaster ads on your own website, but don't hijack my browser session.  I
never install software that comes w/ such a device if I don't have to.
And if I had to to do the one-time setup, I'd use a spare machine I
could wipe immediately after.

Reminds me of when I went to install a Linksys Router/Firewall for my
dad's new cable setup.  He kept saying, "Don't you need to install the
software?"  I kept saying, "No I don't."  And then I was done and he
said, "Oh, I guess you didn't."