Hell has frozen over.

Zscoundrel Zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Sat Jun 5 15:07:47 CDT 2004

I read both statements and I don't see anything new here.  It is mostly
just flash and smoke to impress the ignorant at the press conference.
Sun has NOT changed their position.  The first linked story said that
Sun would open source the software when they figured out a way to do
that (profitably).  They said that 5 years ago too when they released
their version of the "open" license.

Unfortunately, no matter how often a company tells the press they are a
"cutting edge, advanced technology software company" in their press
releases, it is not an accurate indicator of how smart their management
really is (or is NOT!)  It also does not tell us that they are sharp
enough to understand the benefits of open source.

Sun, like Microsoft, just doesn't get this  whole concept.  They are so
hung up on the total control of their ideas that they just can't see how
they can benefit from open source.   ie: obscene profits, which
translate into huge dividends, which translate into multi-million dollar
bonuses for the C-level executives.

It is a little like the paradigm shift taking place prior to the civil
war.  The northern industrialist found a way to apply labor (wage
slaves) without actually OWNING the laborers.  The southern plantation
owners could not understand how they could keep the laborers in the
fields without clear title to them or the right to "encourage" (beat)
them to great effort.

In my opinion, these companies are saying "we have only had one good
idea, and we don't want anyone to benefit from that idea unless they get
a lot of money for it.

--
If you examine how Bill Gates funded research into solving the social issues he is concerned about
las year, you would notice that he is 14 times more concered about the global threat of Linux than

This is understandable when you consider the method of transmission.  I suspect Bill is probably
much more likely to get Linux than he is to get AIDS!!!  After all, you can download and install
Linux by yourself!