MS heads for H.C.

Brian Densmore DensmoreB at ctbsonline.com
Tue Jun 1 18:47:50 CDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
> From: Garrett Goebel
>
>> Why? Criminal behavior is criminal. This kind of attitude
>> about corruption is part of the problem. If more people demanded
>> real justice be carried out, then perhaps things would change.
> ... When people usually grind the "corruption" and "real justice"
> axes... What they're usually saying is "Why can't it be the way I
> want/see it?" And by extension, why can't the government force
> everyone to adhere to my values and principles. -Personally I
> think the carrying out of "real justice" by the government is
> often an example of where the cure is worse than the disease.
I'm talking about actual breaking of codified law, which M$ has been
found guilty of in the past and in numerous cases has settled out
of court prior to being convicted. M$ is a multiple offender of
copyright and trademarks and also probably guilty of extortion,
racketeering,money laundering (see SCO funding), libel, barratry,
and fraud. Not to mention violations which I have never heard of.
Albeit the case that I speak of were all civil cases. I'm talking about
theft. The strong arming of manufacturers which is essentially a
"shakedown" or "I'm gonna make you an offer you can't refuse" or
"protection" (aka extortion and racketeering). Granted small businesses
can't usually do this without the used of "hired hands". Doesn't make
it any less legal. Ok, I'm sure there are other giant companies that
are guilty of many of the same practices. Ok so I may be a dreamer, but I
really believe in "equal protection of the law" for everyone.
And if you think that copyright violation is no big deal, remember they are
locking people up now for software "piracy" of the level M$ has been
found guilty of (anyone remember stacker?).

> If/when Linux begins to dominate more market sectors, I hope it
> will be because it has out competed MS despite their "unfair"
> practices. Not because people have persuaded the government that
> it needs to move in and regulate the computer industry.
Me too. I'm confident that will be the case, though.