Linux distro on DVD

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Sat Jan 31 04:06:43 CST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 17:04:40 -0600 "Mick Ohrberg" <mohrberg at kc.rr.com>
writes:
> I apologize if this has been answered before - I
> couldn't find it in the archives.
>
> Have anyone tried to combine multiple RedHat CD
> ISO-images on one DVD? As long as it can be made
> bootable, I wouldn't think it THAT difficult?
>
> Please let me know if anyone has done it.

I know that "Linux Format" magazine (U.K.) frequently does this sort of
thing with distributions on its magazines which are distributed with a
companion DVD.

They include instructions for converting the DVD distribution into
individual ISOs (after someone complained when the first time they did
not include these instructions) but I would assume that they also would
be able to explain how they put the entire distro onto a single DVD.

Just off my bookshelf I can see that the LinuxFormat DVDs I have from
2002 (I stopped being able to afford it on a regular basis in 2003) have
a complete Slackware 8.1 distro on Sept2002, a complete Debian 3.0_r0
distribution on Nov2002, and a complete Mandrake 9.0 distro on Dec2002.

Borders and MicroCenter both carry LinuxFormat magazine ($13.95 U.S.).

Despite being technically "old news" (example: the issue you'll find in
the U.S. this month is last month's edition), the LinuxFormat audience is
apparently composed of more average users and less programmers, given
that their ratio of "fun stuff with Linux" to "programming Linux"
articles is the exact opposite of U.S. Linux magazines (example:
LinuxJournal (U.S.) is more likely to have an article on "Writing New
Apache Modules In Perl - Part 4 of 8" than an article about "Playing
Windows Games Under Linux", while LinuxFormat has the reverse
probability).  Their companion CDs/DVD (your choice of two CDs or one
DVD) usually have a lot more "average user" stuff on them than U.S.
companion CDs do.

I've noticed I enjoy reading LinuxFormat more than U.S. Linux magazines
as I'm more an average user of Linux than a programmer.

Incidentally, PCFormat (from the same general folks who do LinuxFormat),
also a U.K. magazine, is much the same way and also has your choice of
two CDs or one DVD.  Their CDs/DVD also come packed with average user
stuff, frequently including older versions of complete commercial
software applications.  For example, in 2002 and for $13.95 U.S., I
purchased a PCFormat magazine that included a complete PaintShopPro 5
application on its DVD.  The full retail version, not some crippleware or
time-limited trial version.  $99 in stores, and some local stores were
still selling PSP5 for the retail price when I bought it.