Backing up a directory to a remote file system

Karl Schmidt karl at xtronics.com
Thu Jan 29 18:16:34 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

> I want to perform incremental backups of /pub on a Linux samba server to
> a box on the other side of Kansas City. Some combination involving tar
> looks like the right direction to go but I can't think of a way to have
> tar incrementally compare the files being backed up to the remote
> tarball before the operation begins. I'm not ready to rely on sshfs
> until it is more stable.
>
> Any ideas? Creative solutions welcome.

Why use reiser? I've seen nothing in any bench marks that it is
significantly better than the tried and true EX3, (except for a few
specific tasks that don't represent the real world). Don't get me wrong,
I hope there is a reason to move to a better file system someday - I
just don't think that that day is here yet.

Why not just use rsync to bring it home to a ex3 file system? And then
backup the tree as you would normally? This will also save on quite a
lot of bandwidth.

Karl Schmidt EMail    Karl at xtronics.com
Transtronics, Inc.    WEB http://xtronics.com
3209 West 9th Street  Ph(785) 841-3089