DamSmallLinux on Retro hardware

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Wed Jan 28 13:35:04 CST 2004

Leo J Mauler wrote:

> I was poking around looking for distros to run on older hardware, and
> found something new on the DamSmallLinux page (okay, October 2003, fairly
> new):
>
> http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html
>
> A couple of guys had a computer party and dragged several 486s out of
> their closets.  They tried DamSmallLinux on older and older systems.  The
> 486SX33 with 16MB of RAM still allowed GUI web surfing, Email, and even
> GIMP editing (as a remote station over a broadband link).  Naturally, the
> lack of a FPU prevented some of the DamSmallLinux applications from
> working, but you can probably find a 486SX FPU chip for the cost of
> postage, or just use a 486DX.

I've been trying to tell you guys this stuff is out there.  I've been
playing w/ DamnSmall since around March or April of last year.  It fits
a niche and scratches an itch.  I'm thinking that if you take your HDD
out of the laptop with the funky CDROM and put it in something else,
install DamnSmall and put it back, you will have a working distro.
Take back your hardware.