Linux-supported Wireless Networking deal in KC

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Thu Jan 22 17:55:43 CST 2004

I just got a small settlement check from an old employer who got audited
by the DOJ (misrepresented my hours worked, the bastards) and was looking
around for wireless solutions to go with the SMC refurbished 3-port
Router and Wireless Access Point I'll be purchasing later on today ($29,
from MicroCenter, 93rd & Metcalf).

I searched a few websites and found the usual $50-$60 wireless cards, but
then stumbled across HyperTech computers website
(http://www.hypertechcomputer.com/front.html).

They have a new brand name in their listings called "Edimax", and they're
offering both a PCI wireless ethernet card (with an external antenna and
a looong antenna cord) and a PCMCIA wireless ethernet card (802.11b) for
$29 each.

Now, I only asked about the product number for the PCI card, "EW7126",
but according to the Edimax information I found on this card, it *ships*
with Linux drivers for Red Hat 7.1, 7.3, 8.0 and Suse 8.2.

>From the Edimax website, www.edimax.com, their only 802.11b wireless
ethernet PCMCIA card is the  "EW7106PC", which also *ships* with Linux
drivers for Red Hat 7.1, 7.3, 8.0 and Suse 8.2.

Any company that bothers to create Linux drivers needs to be supported,
and at $29 you really can afford to support them.  :)

Also, HyperTech computers is one of those stores which will hand you a
copy of a Linux distribution with your purchase of an OS-less PC.  They
have a store in Overland Park on 87th Street, and one at 34th & Rainbow
Blvd in KCK.

Now I can finally stick a networked computer in the 2nd floor of my home,
and wander around the house with the laptop.

Wardriving, anyone?  :)