Net Integration's NITIX OS

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Jan 18 23:45:36 CST 2004

DCT Jared wrote:

> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue3_10/raymond/#d8
> (eric s raymond on the reputation economy)
>
> Now,,, all of that being said, I want to return to Jonathan Hale's
> original concern which was NITIX, whom he deems to be actively hiding
> their source code. The question for NITIX is still valid: "Where is the
> source code for your modifications? You don't have to provide it
> to me, but could you please point me to someone who can?"
>
> (If the answer is no, then NITIX's value in the reputation economy
> just decremented: $nitix--;)
>
> As Oren says of MS "We don't have to bash Microsoft; their
> short-sighted strategies will do them in all of their own accord."
>
> -Jared

Linksys recently came under fire for selling a wireless AP that used a
modified Linux kernel and not providing source to the changes that made
this possible.  It's not that they weren't providing source to everyone,
but they weren't providing source to anyone.  They were obligated to
provide source to the purchasers of the AP.  They judged they were
likely to lose tons of geek business and so released the source even
further.  Anyone can download the source from their website now.  This
was an important step for the GPL.  Companies realize they can make
money on hardware running open source software, but they must keep in
mind the sense of community surrounding it and they must realize that
they would lose in more ways than one by trying to keep the source secret.

The argument against Linksys was that they had a choice when deciding
what to use in their AP.  They could have used a BSD and kept the source
closed.  They could have used a proprietary OS and paid per unit
shipped.  Or they could choose Linux and face wrath if they don't follow
the license.

The most important thing to you and me that came out of this was respect
for the GPL and some driver code to get a wireless chipset working under
Linux as I recall.  Also, if you are a tweaker you can run your own
Linux on the AP.

This is my remembrance of the story, I could be wrong, check Slashdot
archives for links and more info.