OT: Network admin opening at KU

Brian D quiet_celt at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 18 17:21:39 CST 2004

--- Jason Clinton wrote:

> Actually, that's a world I wouldn't mind seeing. I'm
> all for an educated
> public. I think the thing that makes us all angry
> about job postings
> like this, though, is that we ALL know that
> presently you don't learn
> anything in college.

Ok, I'll bite. I'd like to see an educated public too.
I'll have to disagree with you on the last part of
that.
While it is true that some people don't learn anything
in college, that is largely the fault of either the
college or more likely the individual. My education in
college was mostly very good, so I'm not sure which
colleges don't teach anything.

Now since I'm on the subject of learning, perhaps
someone has some knowledge to dispense to me on
postgresql questions.

I installed postgresql on my debian box. Nicely
installed too. I also added pgacees so I could have a
nice GUI client on top of psql.Using pgacess made me
discover a problem with the install.

If I try to connect using localhost as the host name,
I get refused. If I leave it blank or don't add the -h
option I connect fine. So my question is what is wrong
with my configuration? My pga_hba.conf seems to be set
up with localhost support and tcpip_socket is true,
although it looks as though lookups are off. Does this
need to be on?

My second question is, I'm trying to turn on the pltcl
procedural language, but createlang wants me to have
version 8.4 andI have 8.3. So I thouht I would try
adding it the way I added pgsql.
My question is do I use the same value for LANGUAGE?

Like this:
CREATE FUNCTION pltcl_call_handler ()
    RETURNS LANGUAGE_HANDLER AS
    '$libdir/pltcl' LANGUAGE C ;

Or do I need to change the language type or do I
really need to upgrade to tk/tcl version 8.4?

Thanks,
Brian