OT: Network admin opening at KU

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 03:51:37 CST 2004

Jason Clinton wrote:

> Brian Kelsay wrote:
> | Someday, they will require a Ph.D. for secretarial work and helpdesk
> | and they will wonder why they can't find anyone to do the job for
> | $10/hr.  And the ones they do get won't know how to do anything in
> | the real world.  Bah, I say, bah.
>
> Actually, that's a world I wouldn't mind seeing. I'm all for an educated
> public. I think the thing that makes us all angry about job postings
> like this, though, is that we ALL know that presently you don't learn
> anything in college.
>
> So, maybe if someday you actually learned stuff by going to college, it
> would be nice if everyone went.

I'm all for an educated public, but I'm just sick of the unrealistic
requirements of some of these positions.  I see now it is a Preferred
requirement to have a Master's.  Entry level positions are going away
and transitioning from say, helpdesk or desktop tech to server admin is
near impossible.  I'm still trying to figure out how to make that
switch.  I did actually get interviews in that area over the summer, but
not as many as I had hoped.