laid-off white-collar professional poster child needed (one of two)

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 16:36:33 CST 2004

Leo J Mauler wrote:

> Though it is interesting just how many anti-bureaucracy Republicans in
> Congress have never been a day without their government employment (or
> assistance) check... :)
>
> Rush Limbaugh would not be here today if it were not for the Welfare
> System (and he admits as much).
>
> And let us not forget that N.A.S.A., Dubya's current pet project, is
> essentially a government jobs project.  And likely to involve even more
> people, as Dubya continues to push for shoving more human beings into
> space instead of intelligent robots (Yahoo News: http://tinyurl.com/34vv3).
>
> The W.P.A. morphed into N.A.S.A.  The only difference is that most of
> the jobs now require more education than the W.P.A. required.
>
> Don't get me wrong.  I think N.A.S.A. is a worthwhile institution.  I
> just find it ironic that someone who claims to be
> anti-federal-government and anti-social programs is promoting a federal
> government program which creates new government jobs as fast as it can.

The big difference is that this kind of project can probably only be
done by government, where there is long term planning and allow
scientists to discover and invent along the way.  They don't have to
worry about quarterly goals.  In the long term, space will start to be
profitable and companies will invest.  A lot of side benefits have come
from space exploration that help in health care, construction, materials
science, etc.

Also keep in mind that the people employed by the space program are
people with higher education and they make quite a bit.  So they spend
quite a bit and pay quite a bit in taxes.  They are not your average
ditch digger.  The companies involved also generally work on military
projects at the same time.  This keeps them busy.