a feature of the Athlon 64

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sat Jan 17 16:23:31 CST 2004

Here's a little tidbit on XP that raised my eyebrows:

Finally, Service Pack 2 will also expose a seldom-discussed feature in
the Athlon 64 architecture called Execution Protection, which prevents
buffer-overrun errors on the hardware level by restricting the execution
of certain buffer data. Whether or not the feature impacts the
propagation of viruses remains to be seen; however, it is certainly good
to see hardware manufacturers taking an active role in addressing
security. Incidentally, Intel's Itanium supports the same feature,
though you won't see any Itanium machines running Windows XP Professional.

I wonder if the 2.6 kernel uses this feature?