EFF - Verified Voting

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jan 14 15:38:36 CST 2004

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004 06:08 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:51:08 -0600 Hal Duston <hduston at speedscript.com>

> > Both senators represent the entire state.

> Yes, but which Senator do I have the power of voting out of office if I
> didn't live in a 95% Republican state?

I sure wish there were a HOWTO on this one.

Your Senators each represent the whole state.  You vote for both/either of
them.  Your Congresman represents a district withn the state, you vote for
one.

Originally, the Senators were appointed by the state government, and intended
to represent the state as an entity, while the Congresmen were to represent
the people of the state.  This was modeled after the British parlement, where
the House of Lords represented the (ruling) nobility, and the House of
Commons represented the people.