building ati radeon driver on linux2.6 - version.h not found

Jason Clinton me at jasonclinton.com
Mon Jan 12 04:39:29 CST 2004

hanasaki wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Trying to get the ATI radeon driver build for an ATI 9000 board.
>     Debian Sarge with kernel 2.6.x
>
> good - download the ati rpm
> good - convert with alien to deb
> good - install the deb
> fail - compile the kernel module
>     the error is below - there is no "version.h"
>     under the linux subdirectory of include
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> thanks... error output below
>
> kernel includes at /lib/modules/2.6.0/build/include not found or
> incomplete file: /lib/modules/2.6.0/build/include/linux/version.h

The ATI driver's support for 2.6 was an afterthought and is a hack, at
best. There is a work around that Gentoo's ebuild makes use of. Do
yourself a favor, though, and dual-boot Windows for OpenGL apps until
ATI decides that they're interested in /really/ supporting Linux. In
case you can't tell, I've had a bad weekend because of ATI's half-asked
'driver'.