What I Hate About Debian "dselect"

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sun Jan 11 20:45:37 CST 2004

On Sunday, January 11, 2004 11:19 am, Leo J Mauler wrote:

> ... its always easier to install packages during the install ...

Having done a fair number of installations over the years, using several
different installers, I would have to disagree with you.  I've found that
your best bet is to go with a likely default selection rather than trying to
select packages at install time.  It's one more thing to go wrong during the
install, and the package databases are one of the most resource-intense
native applications on a Linux system.

Just let the installer do what it thinks is best, then once the system is up
and running properly you'll have plenty of time to add and remove packages.
This way if you end up with a problem during installation and have to go back
and install again, you don't loose all that time spent carefully specifying.